The essence of regular medical checkup is to evaluate the current health status, screen for diseases or risk factors and provide preventive counseling depending on the age of the individual. This helps to prevent onset of disease or worsening of an existing one.
Due to varying factors, a lot of Nigerians prefer to undergo regular health checkups abroad and India is the top destination. This is hardly surprising given the availability of world class medical facilities and expertise at very low cost in India.
To have a seamless and hassle free medical checkup in India, it is important you are well informed and prepared before embarking on your trip.
In this article, we will be providing you with all you need to know about medical checkup in India.
First, let us look at what medical checkup entails.
What is a Medical checkup?
Medical checkup is a thorough medical examination involving a variety of tests carried out on the body including genetic tests. These tests are dependent on the age, sex and previous health history of the person. Hospitals in India carry out health checkups that screen every part of the body meticulously and professionally. These checkups scan your bio-history interprets signals and provides the opportunity to detect any life threatening condition as early as possible.
What tests are carried out in a Medical Checkup?
A comprehensive medical checkup usually contains the following tests:
- Biochemical Parameters (Including PP blood sugar test for diabetic patients)
- Lipid profile
- Liver Function test
- Complete Urine Analysis & Stool test
- Ultrasonogram of the abdomen
- Stress screening by psychologist
- Gynecologist consultation and pap smear test (for women)
- Eye examination
- Blood test
- Complete Blood count
- Blood sugar, urea, uric acid and group
- Lumbar Spine AP & L
- Optional tests
Some additional tests that may be required include:
- Pulmonary Function test
- Ultrasound Screening
- ENT examination
- Screening for Liver, Kidney or Thyroid disease
- Hepatitis B screening
- HIV test
- Diet Counseling
- Mammogram or Ultrasonogram of the breast.
The entire test process may last for between 3 to 5 hours and may take longer period if there are any additional tests that might be required. After the tests, consultation will be held with a medical consultant who will give a detailed review of the health check reports.
HOW DO I GET MEDICAL CHECKUP IN INDIA?
To perform a comprehensive health checkup in India, you need to follow the following steps.
- Contact a Medical Tourism Agency: A medical tourism agency is a company that helps link patients with health service providers (e.g. Hospitals) outside the country. They help you make your travelling arrangements including accommodation and transport within India. Also, they help in procurement of travel visa and advise best hospitals available for medical checkups based on their familiarities with the relative cost, competencies and service advantages of the Indian hospitals.
- Select your Hospital and Package: The medical tourism agency will provide a list of best hospitals in India for health checkup and the packages available. These packages are signed according to individual needs and may be tailored to your specification. Make a choice from the list provided and get an estimate of the bill to be paid.
- Plan Your Duration and accommodation: The duration of the tests, results and post checkup consultation lasts for about 1-3days. It’s essential to make a plan for accommodation whether within the hospital premises or outside at hotels/hostels. The latter is always preferred due to the unnecessary high cost of accommodation in hospitals. Talk with your medical tourism agency to arrange a hotel/hostel close to the hospital.
- Prepare a Budget: Prepare a budget of amount to be spent including visa fee, travel fee, medical bill, accommodation and feeding. It is advisable to go along with extra cash in case there’s need to buy medications or undergo additional tests.
- Apply For Visa: You will need to apply for a medical visa from the Indian embassy here in Nigeria. A good medical tourism agency should be able to help you process your visa faster and prevent any bureaucratic bottlenecks that might occur.
- Travel for your medical checkup: After approval of your visa, you can travel to India for your medical checkup before the appointed date. Tests will be carried out and results will be explained by a medical consultant assigned to you.
It is advisable to always go for medical checkups regularly to reassess your health status. The frequency of your subsequent visit will depend on the presence/absence of disorders or diseases found in the previous checkup. The next visit focus mostly on pre-existing diseases (if any) or general health assessment.
Are you looking to travel for Medical Checkup in India? Contact Medvisit, West Africa\\\’s largest Medical Tourism Agency today on 08182522015 or send a mail to email@example.com.