According to World Health Organization (WHO), Nigeria has the highest cancer death cases in Africa. That was why it was particularly saddening when some Nigerian newspapers reported last week that that all cancer treatment machines in the country had broken down with no hope of repairs soon! Little wonder a lot of Nigerians now seek cancer treatment abroad with India the top destination.
With more and more Nigerians seeking solution to their cancer ailments in India, the need for credible information on how Nigerians can access quality and affordable treatment in India cannot be overemphasized. A lot of Nigerians travel and end up receiving sub standard treatment or even worsen their condition due to the lack of information on processes involved in getting cancer treatment abroad. This article is designed to guide you through these processes to help you get quality and affordable cancer treatment in India.
There are different types of cancer including cervical cancer, breast cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer etc. Cancer is mostly treated using radiotherapy and surgery. In India, hospitals are well equipped with state of the art radiotherapy machines which are used in cancer treatment. The large number of certified oncologists (Cancer doctors) is also a testament to the quality of treatment available in India.
PROCEDURES FOR CANCER TREATMENT IN INDIA
Here is a step by step guide for patients seeking cancer treatment in India. This guide tells you all you need to do before proceeding on medical treatment.
- Get Medical report & Test results: Get a medical report from your hospital in Nigeria. This will be used to assess the stage of cancer and get an estimated cost of the treatment available. It is also advisable to carry out as much tests as possible for a better evaluation of the disease by the doctors.
- Contact a Medical Tourism Agency: A medical tourism agency helps you make your travelling arrangements including accommodation and transport within India. Also, they help in procurement of travel visa and advise best hospitals available for quality treatment.
- Pick Hospital and Location: The medical tourism agency will give you a list of top hospitals with expertise and state of the art radiotherapy machines and oncologists. Do a personal research about the hospitals and make your selection. If in doubt, go with the suggestion of the agency as they have more experience in picking hospitals. For location, It is advisable to always pick hospitals in towns for easy access and availability of comfortable accommodation. Note that a letter of invitation will be sent to you after the hospital conducts an evaluation based on the medical reports and test results sent to them.
- Find Out About the Doctors: After selecting the hospital, get the name of the oncologist in charge of the procedure and find out about his/her qualifications and track record. In severe cases, arrange for a call with the doctors to get a clear idea of the true situation and cost before travelling.
- Arrange for Accommodation & Transport: After successful surgery/treatment without further complications. The patient is moved away from the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and moved to an accommodation within the hospital premises. Accommodation in the hospitals is quite expensive compared to hotels & hostels nearby. If the decision is to stay outside the hospital, make sure the hotel/hostel is not too far from the hospital and adequate transport arrangements are available. Make suitable arrangements beforehand to cater for the duration of your stay in India. A reliable medical tourism agency should be able to help in the arrangement for this adequately including transport to and fro the hospitals.
- Prepare a Budget: Prepare a budget for the total cost to be expended including Visa fees, travel fee, accommodation & transport and hospital bills. Find out from the hospitals the total estimated cost including any possible hidden charges like drugs or medications for post-op recovery. Hospitals usually give out lower costs to attract patients, so it is important to have a clear idea of the total cost for the duration of the treatment.
- Apply for Visa: Go to the Indian embassy and apply for travel visa with your letter of invitation from the hospital. A good medical tourism agency will be able to guide you through this process easily and help fast track visa approval process.
- Travel and Get Medical Treatment: Once Visa has been approved, it’s advisable to leave as soon as possible for quick start to the cancer treatment process. After the successful treatment, get the required rest and return back to Nigeria in good health.
POINTS TO NOTE:
- Never pay the total medical fee upfront for treatment until arrival in the hospital.
- Always use a credible medical tourism agency to prevent any problems.
- Do not pay any extra money to anyone except for visa fee and required amount for upfront payment from hospitals.
- Stay in the hospitals for accommodations or places close to the hospital for easy access.
- Never opt for cheap accommodation; don’t put your life at risk.
- Find out in depth information from the doctors before proceeding for treatment
- Never assume, always ask for clarification on unclear information.
- Make availability for extra unexpected costs in your budget.
Medvisit is West Africa’s leading medical tourism agency that helps patients get medical treatment for various ailments including cancer treatment in India. With branches in Nigeria and India, Medvisit remains the number one choice of medical tourists. Medvisit’s special arrangement with the top hospitals in India, assures you the best price and maximum guarantee and value for your money. Also, logistics (accommodation and transport) within India are personally handled to ease flow of treatment. Medvisit also helps you fast track visa approval for quick travel and treatment. Call us today on 08182522015 or send a mail to email@example.com.